David and Goliath
246 Have you not considered the notables of the Jews after Moses?
But when fighting was ordained for them, they turned away, except for a few of them.247
249 When Saul set out with the troops, he said:
Allah will be testing you with a river. Whoever drinks from it does not belong with me.
But whoever does not drink from it, does belong with me, except for whoever scoops up a little with his hand.
But most of them drank from it. Then, when he crossed it, he and those who believed with him, they said:
But those who knew that they would meet Allah said:
- When they confronted Goliath and his troops, they said:
- They defeated them by Allah’s leave. David killed Goliath. Allah gave him sovereignty and wisdom, and taught him as He willed. Were it not for Allah restraining the people, some by means of others, the earth would have gone to ruin.
- These messengers: We gave some advantage over others. To some of them Allah spoke directly, and some He raised in rank.
We gave Jesus son of Mary the clear miracles, and We strengthened him with the Holy Spirit. Had Allah willed, those who succeeded them would not have fought one another, after the clear signs had come to them; but they disputed; some of them believed, and some of them disbelieved.
Had Allah willed, they would not have fought one another.
- Muslims, Spend from what We have given you, before a Day comes in which there is neither trading, nor friendship, nor intercession.
- There shall be no compulsion in religion; the right way has become distinct from the wrong way.
Whoever renounces evil and believes in Allah has grasped the most trustworthy handle; which does not break.
258 Have you not considered him who argued with Abraham about his Lord, because Allah had given him sovereignty?
The blasphemer was confounded. Or like him who passed by a town collapsed on its foundations.
He said, “How can Allah revive this after its demise?”
Thereupon Allah caused him to die for 100 years, and then resurrected him.
No. You have tarried for 100 years. Now look at your food and your drink—it has not spoiled—and look at your donkey. We will make you a wonder for mankind.
Look at the bones, how We arrange them, and then clothe them with flesh.” So when it became clear to him, he said, “I know that Allah has power over all things.”