Rules on Intoxicants, Menstruation, and Sex
208 Muslims, enter into submission wholeheartedly.
Do not follow the footsteps of Satan.
209 But if you slip after the proofs have come to you, know that Allah is Powerful and Wise.
210 Are they waiting for Allah Himself to come to them in the shadows of the clouds, together with the angels, and thus the matter is settled?
211 Ask the Jews how many clear signs We have given them. Whoever alters the blessing of Allah after it has come to him—Allah is severe in retribution.
212 Beautified is the life of this world for those who disbelieve, and they ridicule those who believe. But the righteous will be above them on the Day of Resurrection. Allah provides to whomever He wills without measure.
213 Humanity used to be one community.
- Then Allah sent the prophets, the Scripture and the truth, bringing good news and giving warnings to judge between people regarding their differences.
But none differed over it except those who were given it—after the proofs had come to them—out of mutual envy between them.
Then Allah guided those who believed to the truth they had disputed, in accordance with His will. Allah guides whom He wills to a straight path.
214 Or do you expect to enter Paradise before the example of those who came before you had reached you? Adversity and hardship had afflicted them, and they were so shaken up, that the Messenger and those who believed with him said, “When is Allah’s victory?” Indeed, Allah’s victory is near.
215 They ask you what they should give. Say, “Whatever charity you give is for the parents, and the relatives, and the orphans, and the poor, and the wayfarer. Whatever good you do, Allah is aware of it.
216 Fighting is ordained for you, even though you dislike it.
- You might dislike something while it is good for you.
- You might like something while it is bad for you.
- They ask you about fighting during the Holy Month. Say, “Fighting during it is deplorable; but to bar others from Allah’s path, and to disbelieve in Him, and to prevent access to the Holy Mosque, and to expel its peo- ple from it, are more deplorable with Allah.
Persecution is more serious than killing.
They will not cease to fight you until they turn you back from your religion, if they can. Whoever among you turns back from his religion, and dies a disbeliever—those are they whose works will come to nothing, in this life, and in the Hereafter.
Those are the inmates of the Fire, abiding in it forever.
- Those who believed, and those who migrated and fought for the sake of Allah–those look forward to Allah’s mercy.
Intoxicants and gambling
- Intoxicants and gambling creates:
- gross sin
- some benefits for people
But their sinfulness outweighs their benefit.
People should give the surplus.
- About this world and the next. And they ask you about orphans. Say, “Improvement for them is best. And if you intermix with them, then they are your brethren.”
- Do not marry idolatresses, unless they have believed.
A believing maid is better than an idolatress, even if you like her. And do not marry idolaters, unless they have believed.
A believing servant is better than an idolater, even if you like him. These call to the Fire, but Allah calls to the Garden and to forgiveness, by His leave.
He makes clear His communications to the people, that they may be mindful.
- Menstruation is harmful, so keep away from women during menstruation.
- Do not approach them until they have become pure.
- Once they have become pure, approach them in the way Allah has directed you.
- Your women are cultivation for you.
- So approach your cultivation whenever you like, and send ahead for yourselves.
And do not allow your oaths in Allah’s name to hinder you from virtue, and righteousness, and making peace between people.
Allah does not hold you responsible for your unintentional oaths, but He holds you responsible for your intentions. Allah is Forgiving and Forbearing.
Those who vow abstinence from their wives must wait for four months. But if they reconcile—Allah is Forgiving and Merciful.