Rules for the Direction of Prayer (Qiblah)
142 The ignorant will say, “What has turned them away from the direction of prayer [qiblah] they once followed?”
143 We made you a moderate community, so that:
- you may be witnesses to humanity, and
- the Messenger may be a witness to you.
We only established the direction of prayer, which you once followed so that We may distinguish those who follow the Messenger from those who turn on their heels.
It is indeed difficult, except for those whom Allah has guided. But Allah would never let you lose your faith.
144 Muhammad, We have seen your face turned towards the heaven.
- So We will turn you towards a direction that will satisfy you.
- So face towards the Kabah wherever you may be.
145 The Jews and the Christians will not follow your prayer direction.
- Nor are you to follow their direction.
- Nor do they follow the direction of one another.
If you were to follow their desires, after knowing what you now know, you would be one of the wrongdoers.
148 Each religion has a prayer-direction which it turns towards.
- Therefore, race towards goodness.
- Wherever you may be, Allah will bring you all together.
149-150 Wherever you come from, face towards the Kabbah:
- when you go out to prayer.
- so that the people may not have any argument against you—except those who do wrong among them.
So do not fear them, but fear Me, that I may complete My blessings on you and guide you.
151 We sent to you a messenger from among you, who:
- recites Our revelations to you
- purifies you
- teaches you the Book and wisdom.
152 So remember Me, and I will remember you. And thank Me, and do not be ungrateful.
153 Seek help through patience and prayers.
154 Do not call those who are killed in the cause of Allah as “Dead”. They are alive, but are not perceiveable.
155 We will certainly test you with:
- some fear and hunger
- some loss of possessions, lives, and crops.
But give good news to the steadfast.
156-157 The people who will receive blessings and mercy from their Lord are those who say durng a calamity: “To Allah we belong, and to Him we will return”.
158 Safa and Marwa are among the places designated for the rites of úajj and Ôumrah by Allah.
Whoever makes the Pilgrimage to the House, or performs the Umrah, commits no error by circulating between them.
159 Allah curses those who suppress the proofs and the guidance that We have revealed.
164 For people who understand, there are signs in:
- the creation of the heavens and the earth
- the alternation of night and day
- the ships that sail the oceans for the benefit of mankind
- the water that Allah sends down from the sky and revives the earth with it after it had died, and scatters in it all kinds of creatures
- the changing of the winds
- the clouds disposed between the sky and the earth.
165 Some people have humans equal to Allah.
- They love them as they love Allah.
- But those who believe have greater love for Allah.
Those wrongdoers would realize that all power is Allah’s
166 They will then disown their followers who will say: “If only we can have another chance, we will disown them, as they disowned us.”