The Covenant with Israel
6 minutes • 1187 words
40-46 O Jews:
- remember the blessings I gave you
- fulfill your pledge to Me, and I will fulfill My pledge to you
- fear Me
- believe in what I revealed
- do not exchange My revelations for a small price
- be conscious of Me.
- do not mix truth with falsehood
- do not conceal the truth while you know.
- attend to your prayers
- practice regular charity
- kneel with those who kneel.
- command people to virtuous conduct
- forget yourselves even though you read the Scripture
- seek help through patience and prayer.
But these are difficult, except for the devout.
47-52 O Jews:
- remember that I favored you over all nations
- beware of a Day when no soul will avail another in the least, nor will any intercession be accepted on its behalf, nor will any ransom be taken from it, nor will they be helped.
- delivered you from the Egyptians who inflicted terrible persecution on you, killing your sons, and sparing your women.
- parted the sea for you, saving you
- drowned the Egyptians as you looked on
- appointed for Moses 40 nights.
- You worshipped the calf after him, and you turned wicked.
- We pardoned you after that, so that you might be grateful.
- gave Moses the Scripture and the Criterion to guide you.
My people, you have done wrong to yourselves by worshiping the calf. So repent to your Maker and kill your egos.
Moses, we will not believe in you unless we see Allah plainly.
Thereupon the thunderbolt struck you, as you looked on. Then We revived you after your death, so that you may be appreciative.
We shaded you with clouds, and We sent down to you manna and quails: “Eat of the good things We have provided for you.”
They did not wrong Us, but they used to wrong their own souls.
We said, “Enter this town, and eat plentifully from it whatever you wish; but enter the gate humbly, and say, ‘Pardon.’ We will forgive your sins, and give increase to the virtuous.”
But the wrongdoers among them substituted words other than those given to them, so We sent down on the wrongdoers a plague from heaven, because of their wicked behavior.
When Moses prayed for water for his people, We said, “Strike the rock with your staff.”
Thereupon 12 springs gushed out from it. Each tribe recognized its drinking-place.
Eat and drink from Allah’s provision. Do not corrupt the earth with disobedience.
Moses, we cannot just eat one kind of food. So call to your Lord to produce for us other food like herbs, cucumbers, garlic, lentils, onions.”
Go back to Egypt where you will have such food.
- were struck with humiliation and poverty
- incurred wrath from Allah
This is because they rejected Allah’s revelations and wrongfully killed the prophets.
62 The following will have their reward with their Lord:
- The Muslims
- The Jewish
- The Christians
- The Sabeans
- those who act righteously and believe in Allah and the Last Day
63 We received a pledge from you, and raised the Mount above you: “Take what We have given you earnestly, and remember what is in it, that you may attain righteousness.”
64 64. But after that you turned away. Were it not for Allah’s grace and mercy towards you, you would have been among the losers.
65 We said to those of you who violated the Sabbath: “Be despicable apes!”
66 Thus, We made it:
- a deterrent for their generation and subsequent generations, and
- a lesson for the righteous.
67-71 Recall when Moses said to his people:
Allah commands you to sacrifice a heifer
Are you mocking us? Call upon your Lord to show us which one
He says she is a heifer, neither too old, nor too young, but in between. So do what you are commanded
Tell your Lord to show us what her color is
He says she is a yellow heifer, bright in color, pleasing to the beholders
Tell your Lord to show us which one; the heifers look alike to us. We want to be guided
He says she is a heifer, neither yoked to plow the earth, nor to irrigate the field; sound without blemish.
So they slew her, though they almost did not.
- 72-73 recall when you killed a person, and disputed in the matter. But Allah was to expose what you were hiding. We said, “Strike him with part of it.” Thus Allah brings the dead to life; and He shows you His signs, that you may understand.
74 After that your hearts hardened.
- They were as rocks, or even harder.
- There are:
- some rocks from which rivers gush out
- other rocks that splinter and water comes out from them
- other rocks that sink in awe of Allah.
Do you hope that they will believe in you, when some of them used to hear the Word of Allah, and then deliberately distort it, even after understanding it?
When they come across those who believe, they say, “We believe,” but when they come together privately, they say, “Will you inform them of what Allah has disclosed to you, so that they might dispute with you concerning it before your Lord?” Do you not understand?
Do they not know that Allah knows what they conceal and what they reveal?
And among them are uneducated who know the Scripture only through hearsay, and they only speculate.
So woe to those who write the Scripture with their own hands, and then say, “This is from Allah,” that they may exchange it for a little price. Woe to them for what their hands have written, and woe to them for what they earn.
They say, “The Fire will not touch us except for a number of days.” Say, “Have you received a promise from Allah—Allah never breaks His promise—or are you saying about Allah what you do not know?”
Whoever commits misdeeds, and becomes besieged by his iniquities—these are the inmates of the Fire, wherein they will dwell forever.
- We made a covenant with the Jews: “Worship only Allah. Be good to parents, and relatives, and orphans, and the needy; and speak nicely to people; and pray regularly, and give alms.” Then you turned away, except for a few of you, recanting.
84 We made a covenant with you: “You shall not shed the blood of your own, nor shall you evict your own from your homes.”
You agreed, and were all witnesses.
85 But here you are:
- killing your own
- expelling a group of your own from their homes, conspiring against them in wrong-doing and hostility.
- ransoming them if they surrender to you, although it was forbidden to you.
You believe in one part of the Scripture, and disbelieve the other part.
- What is the reward for those among you who do that but humiliation in this life?
- On Resurrection Day, they will be assigned to the most severe torment.
- Those are they who bought the present life for the Hereafter, so the punishment will not be lightened for them, nor will they be helped.