Article 1. The Federative Republic of Brazil is made up of the indissoluble union of the states and municipalities and of the Federal District.
It is a legal democratic state founded on:
- human dignity
- social values of labour and of the free enterprise
- political pluralism
All power emanates from the people, who exercise it by means of elected representatives or directly, as provided by this Constitution.
Article 2. The Legislative, the Executive and the Judicial, independent and harmonious among themselves, are the powers of the Union.
Article 3. The fundamental objectives of the Federative Republic of Brazil are:
- to build a free, just and solidary society
- to guarantee national development
- to eradicate poverty and substandard living conditions and to reduce social and regional inequalities
- to promote the well-being of all, without prejudice as to origin, race, sex, colour, age and any other forms of discrimination.
Article 4. The international relations are governed by the following principles:
- national independence
- human rights
- self-determination of the peoples
- equality among the states
- defense of peace
- peaceful settlement of conflicts
- repudiation of terrorism and racism
- cooperation among peoples for the progress of mankind
- granting of political asylum
The Federative Republic of Brazil shall seek the economic, political, social and cultural integration of the peoples of Latin America, viewing the formation of a Latin-American community of nations.